Wednesday, December 02, 2020

Hatfield Forest

In summer the lake at Hatfield Forest can be a bit dull in terms of ducks ....Mallards predominantly. A lovely bird but the birder in me wants something more unusual. Winter visits see a greater variety but I have only seen commoner species. Every winter I hope to see one of the more unusual winter visitors (Smew, Goldenye & Goosander) but to with no luck.

I guess we are in winter now so hope springs eternal. Upon arrival I got to meet Helen who I've chatted to on facebook and twitter but never met.

Ah yes ......


So before setting off the obligatory coffee


I stood by the lake doing a one handed binocular scan of the lake.... Mallard, Black-Headed Gulls, Canada Geese, Cormorant... ooh Great Crested Grebe ... a few more tufties than normal ooh a second Grebe a third Grebe and hang on what's that? That looks interesting. a head pops up FEMALE GOOSANDER!  it was at the far North end of the lake (pleasingly a Kingisher flew straight in front of it), it started swimming along the far bank past the boat jetty and into some vegetation.... ok time to wander.



Well not the greatest picture but a record shot! 







OK lots of tree photos in awful light ;)






Seems to be like two dancers! 




















At this point a had seen very few small birds but a few came into view at this point


Another coffee and a sausage roll. 


Hurriedly leaves table to take picture of Great Crested Grebe! 



I wandered with my coffee which I quickly put on a bench as this beauty came a bit closer 



I also spotted a Lesser Black Backed Gull and some Common Gulls amongst the myriad Black Headed Gulls. Oh there was a Heron.




Yesterday the weather was kind and the birds less so. Today it was role reversal. Apologies for the dull photos but what a satisfying walk! 

2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Good to see something different on your vist. I really like Goosanders. I am always hoping for Smew in the winter but so far have failed to see one!!!

The Quacks of Life said...

Amwell is normally good for Smew but none last year.... may be a little early

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.