Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Rievaulx, Helmsley Castle, Byland and Hovingham Hall

The forecast for tomorrow is uhm well the technical term is PANTS so today I got in some outdoors places

Rievaulx Abbey was a cistercian foundation and a well preserved ruin. Yes I go there a lot, I find sitting there in the ruins contemplative.... and it is photogenic!






















Helmsley is a toursity small market town close to Helmsley. I went there to get some lunch (which I ate outside) and to visit the Castle





The castle was besieged during the English Civil War but was unscathed it eventually surrendered and slighted by parliamentarian forces.
























I went to Byland Abbey a favourite of mine but it was closed....  I had noticed the tearoom was but never thought to check the abbey itself IDIOT!





So with time of my hands.... I went to Hovingham Hall. I have never been before I guess as it is only open in June. The house is Georgian and built in the Palladian style. It is beautifully situated... You visit by guide tour which was informative....

It is also very non corporate very different to the likes of the NT, EH or Castle Howard.... Worth a visit.














A look around All Saints Church














No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.