Sunday, June 02, 2019

Holkham mostly

My friends Stuart and Rebecca were kind enough to accompany me to scatter Dad's ashes at the same place he and I had scattered Mum's. I will admit to being a little bit emotional when I picked him up this morning but when the time came I just did it. They are together at somewhere they had many happy memories and that is how it should be.

With that done we went for a breakfast in Cley at a place called Artemis Coffee shop I had Two Poached eggs on Sourdough Toast with Salmon and a Latte. Very nice it was.





So on to Holkham Hall which was also appropriate as I have many happy memories of holidays in North Norfolk with Mum and Dad. Curiously Rebecca and Stuart have never been.






One of the things I like about Holkham is the wildlife, there were lots of broods of various geese and ducks. The Barnacle Geese population has exploded I can remember seeing two there some years back now they are all over the place. Bizarrely we never saw a Canada goose!












The walled garden is being restored... and it really is coming on well! 


Still work to do!














On my last visit I saw a Hummingbird Hawk Moth and today? :)















When I was a lad you get into the area around the fountain.... now you take a picture through the balustrade :)



OOH nice area to bring up the youngster!



Into the house, the interior belies the exterior.


























And there was cricket in front of the house... how English!!


1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

As you say Pete it is right that your mum and dad are together now and it is a lovely place for them to be. Thinking of you as it must have been very emotional for you at the weekend.

Holkham looks beautiful - we never visited on our last two visits but perhaps next time. We won't mention the hummingbird hawkmoth :) but have to say well done and you have beat me again. Clouded Yellow next? :) or what about Purple Emperor - I might have more luck there! :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.