Monday, October 17, 2022

Oxburgh, Castle Acre and Castle Rising Castle

I seem to be away again. Oh well :)

I arrived at Waitrose in Swaffham and helped myself to a full English breakfast... well you have to. To be honest some of the reason for my choice was due to my first venue.

Oxburgh Hall. Which confusingly is in the village of Oxborough! 

When I arrived everywhere was grey and overcast






















OOH OOH SUN!!



















So on to Castle Acre.

Castle Acre Priory was a Cluniac priory in the village of Castle Acre, Norfolk, England, dedicated to St Mary, St Peter, and St Paul. It is thought to have been founded in 1089 by William de Warenne, 2nd Earl of Surrey.




























I wandered to the castle. You walk past the Bailey Gate. On family holidays to Norfolk my Dad always "took the scenic route" through this :)


The castle was built soon after the Norman Conquest by William de Warenne, the Earl of Surrey, during the 11th century.










The Parish Church.


Castle Rising Castle is a ruined medieval fortification in the village of Castle Rising,. It was built soon after 1138 by William d'Aubigny II, its most famous resident was Isabella the "She Wolf", wife of Edward II and mother of Edward III





















I drove to my hotel through Sandringham.... if you know you know ;) 


2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

What a great day and glad the sun came out for you :)

The Quacks of Life said...

hi RR.... Castle Acre is an amazing village. And I like moated manor houses :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.