Friday, April 01, 2022

Paycocke's

Apparently I haven't been to Paycocke's since July 2019!!! Has something happened over the past 2 years? 

I was told that the decision had been made to reopen the cafe and there would be scones. The cafe was opening today for the first time and when I looked out of the morning the sun was shining so....

Now as I arrived at Coggeshall snow started to fall but by the time I had parked it stopped. First shock there were pay machines!!!! However the first 2 hours is free which is fair enough as it encourages shoppers and not people staying all day.


Paycocke's was built for Thomas Paycocke a Tudor wool merchant. The house dates to about 1505 although parts are earlier. The house is now open by guided tour only (I'm guessing a covid thing?) and I have been in many time so I didn't book on. I headed to the cafe where I was greeted by "Hello Pete" which totally flummoxed me for a few seconds until I realised a friend Susan was a volunteer and must be there ;) 

I was the first customer and so I took my scone and coffee into the garden. It was cold but I was sheltered and in the sun (with a layer or of fleeces) it was very present.

















The garden is a cottage garden that fits the house. Paycocke's is a small property but it is often the smaller properties that are the soul of the National Trust. Whenever I bemoan the Trust becoming more Corporate and centralised it is nice to arrive at somewhere like Paycocke's :) 

It is a lovely spot to sit and read a book and I will probably turn up once a month for a scone and a coffee and a read.

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.