Friday, April 15, 2022

A Victorian village and some monastic ruins

I am away for Easter with my friends Rebecca and Stuart and we're in Shropshire. 

First stop was to Ironbridge which is the home of the first bridge made of Iron


Then onto Blists Hill Victorian Town an open air museum. The museum attempts to recreate the sights, sounds and smells of a Victorian Shropshire town in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.



































The chip shop! So fish & chips for lunch.


We were able to take them into the pub ;) The fish and chips were tasty.




















It was well done but a bit peopley so I didn't go into all the shops ;)

Then on Buildwas Abbey a Cistercian foundation built in the 12th century and largely unaltered.







Finally Wenlock Priory. There was originally an abbey here founded by by King Merewalh of Mercia in 680, whose abbess daughter Milburge was hailed as a saint. It became a Cluniac foundation and the ruins you see are largely 13th Century.
















4 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Wonderful photos Pete and it must be a record a blog post on 3 places I too have been too!!!!! I don't think we went in Blist Hill though and we missed a great place. Interesting to see a pub called the New Inn as my great great great something grandparents owned a pub with same name in nearby Broseley! Buildwas and Wenlock Priory are beautiful and Wenlock Town is nice too. Enjoy the rest of your break - weather looks good :)

The Quacks of Life said...

Blists was a bit peopley. A few buildings I didn't go into! Interesting though

Ragged Robin said...

I don't think we went in as we had been to the Victorian village in the Black Country. I do want to go to the pipe museum at Broseley as several of my ancestors were clay pipe makers and I think one was quite famous. But when we went to IronBridge museum was closed!

The Quacks of Life said...

I doubt I'll go back.... as it was "pricey"

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.