Sunday, September 07, 2014

Overbeck's and a real quality find!

I had posted a list of potential visits on twitter and the NT twitter feed recommended Overbeck's.

Now curiously despite having been to Devon many times I have never been to Overbecks so off I headed.

I was a little early so some photos from the nearby bay.














Overbeck's has limited parking and its a steep climb..... luckily I got one of the 16 spaces :)

Overbeck's was the seaside home of the inventor Otto Overbeck. Overbeck was an advocate of electrotherapy and invented the Overbeck rejuvenator. He gave the house to the trust on his death in 1937 as a means to show his collection of curios and natural history exhibits.

I can't help but wonder if the trust would take Overbeck's today (without a pretty large endowment) but I am pleased they did.







The collection is fairly small....

















Actually the house would make a lovely home..... I've found the room I'd make my bedroom.....

The reason to visit Overbeck's is the garden! which is lovely! I heard someone say "why can't mine garden look like this!"
















And then something caught my eye

HUMMINGBIRD HAWKMOTH!! sorry only record shots......
















Nice place to have lunch eh :D


The view!


The scone looked like it might be good. Alas alack only ordinary a bit stodgy...... should have gone for a crab sandwich!




I went back for a wander




This one of a few Robin's serenading us!





I was hoping to see the hummer again and I did and there were TWO!! I have never seen two together. Alas they weren't hanging about but fab to see.








Someone asked me what this bird was

Me - oh it's a chaffinch, a male
Her - oh it's very pretty, you must be very knowledgeable!

I smiled politely and left thinking how can you have lived 50 years (based on appearance) and not know a flipping Chaffinch!!

Special nod to the restaurant staff who had to put up with a child screaming for 20 minutes..... luckily I was outside on the terrace with my cuppa !!


2 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

Odd collection of bits & pieces but the garden looks stunning... another great find and, as Coleton Fishacre, a bit tropical!

and 2 Hummingbird Hawkmoths .. green!!

Ragged Robin said...

Lovely garden Pete - not sure if I like the red paint in the house! Well done on the Hummingbird Hawkmoths - if you see any more please waft them in the direction of my garden valerian (grown specially for them).

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.