Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Grass in the road, churches, a house and scones!

I had two churches on my agenda and one of them I never expected to find.

Curiously I expected the first to be quite easy, well it would have been if the road signs weren't hidden at places!! The roads were interesting as well..... ooh look grass in the middle! But what a location!!

811 St Winnow












so I set off across country for the second target which the book says you deserve a medal if you find. Now luckily I had to wait for a tractor to turn and as we passed I asked a woman if she knew where the church was "No but she will" indicating the woman closing the gate. Luckily it was next left down a very narrow track but we have......

812 St Wyllow, Llanteglos-By-Fowey

and it is nowhere near Llanteglos-By-Fowey....











So back to civilisation...... my route wasn't direct and I was further east than I expected I thought I'd go to the National Trust's Antony....... it didn't open to 12 but the non NT woodland walk was so I decided to work up an appetite.....















most of the sheep enjoying the shade :)


As the house was now open........



Entry is by timed ticket so I had lunch....... other than the one at Trelissick my faith in National Trust scones has been a bit shaken but the display looked good......


Apple, Cinnamon and Sultana it certainly looked the part........



and it was a superb scone! PHEW


And so the house.... it is the home of the Carew-Poles who still live there.... and it has the feel of a home not wrapped in aspic....






















And a stroll around the gardens.....

























I thought I'd try the plain scone and see if the previous was a flash in the pan..... uh no!! Another fine one!!



Antony is not a big or famous NT one but it was a lovely day out!

3 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Gorgeous photos of beautiful churches, house and garden - not to mention the scones :)

Loved the wood carvings in the churches too.

turquis said...

Lovely photos!

Tricia Ryder said...

Wow - if anyone could find that church then you....... ;)

Amazing blue skies and looks an interesting house to visit; love the library & the carvings in the church.

Another day of good finds it seems :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.