Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Top of the Pops

So its over..... I can't say I'm that bothered. I was never a big fan, I've never been into chart music, never been "with it" - natch.

Anyway for me Top of the Pops was not the programme. If you were a kid in the 70's then you will remember the records from Pickwick.

On paper these make the Now series look lightweight. They had ALL the hits, the covers usually showed an attractive women in a "sexy" pose



and they were cheap.

As we all know they had the hits but they were sung by unknowns! Some covers were pretty good, some were ghastly.

One of the unknowns was some chap called Elton John! You can even buy an Elton sing Top of the Pops cd
Elton CD

I'm pretty certain my folks still have some of the albums at home. Can I resist the nostalgia? Probably :)

If you wish to know a bit more and share in the nostalgia then tune in BBC Radio 4 Saturday 10:30 for the Pickwick Poppers - GROAN!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yes, I remember those - I didn't know Elton was one of the unknowns though. He has certainly gone on to bigger and better things.

The Quacks of Life said...

Elton John ? I keep meaning to do a blog rant about him.

I like some of his older stuff but he irritates the hell out of me. He seems to be "friends" with everyone.

Anonymous said...

What a blast from the past!

I had one of those cheap 'n' cheesy Pickwick albums. Mine featured, amongst other things, a cover version of 10cc's "Rubber Bullets".

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.