Friday, August 11, 2006

Shoes and Wars and PCs

First things first. The quacks of life is taking a well earned holiday! I'll be in North Lincolnshire and North Yorkshire. I'm hoping for a picture of CP in her rubber dress. A chap can dream.

Did you know that 1 in 10 women spend a £1000 a year on shoes and that 8% own more than 100 pairs. And one in four women say they would buy another pair of shoes instead of pay the bills. This is according to the survey by Harpers Bazaar magazine. Apparently half of women own more than 30 pairs.

Now I'm mystified. I wear 5 pairs of shoes! There is my work pair (got for £10 in a sale), my gardening shoes (an old pair of work shoes), my emergency pair of shoes (an old pair of work shoes that live in my car - these are well battered), my wellies and my walking shoes. That's it.

What is it with women? No seriously what is it? You buy something with a tiny little heel that is 4 feet long hobble about in a position that looks dangerously uncomfortable and call it fashion?

Now honestly girls can you imagine any man being that insane? And Elton John doesn't count.

Reading the BBC website I came across the story that the British Army was kicked out of Buenos Aires in 1806. Pardon me? Could you repeat that? the British Army was kicked out of Buenos Aires in 1806. I must have been asleep when Mr Gregory told us about that one! The British tried to capture Buenos Aires in 1807 but were kicked out again. If you look at the dates you may twig it was a minor part of the Napoleonic wars.

Also in the news it was 25 years ago that IBM introduced the PC.

13 comments:

flicker said...

The shoe thing always leaves me mystified too, but then I know I'm strange. I don't even possess a pair of proper shoes! I have 5 pairs of trainers, one pair of which I don't wear because they hurt, two pairs of flip-floppy type sandals, which I've been living in for the past few months, along with a canvas pair of slip-on things, one pair of ankle wellies and one pair of proper wellies. That's it. I very much doubt if I've spent £1000 in my lifetime on shoes! The most expensive pair of trainers I've ever bought were Reebok's for £20 in a sports shop's sale! Normally pay about £12-£15 now or less if possible, one pair was a fiver from Lidls, and another pair of Nike's I got for a pound from a car boot sale! Cheapskate is my middle name. I suppose it's because I don't go out socially, then I would need some decent clothes and footwear I suppose, but I don't own a dress or skirt either. I have one pair of "proper" trousers, which I've worn once in the four years they have been in the wardrobe.

KAZ said...

I have 20 pairs of 'Docs' all different colours.

Boo said...

People shouldn't generalise about such things. I don't own that many either and if I do, it's because I haven't thrown out the old ones when they have been replaced, they might come in handy!

The only skirts that I possess are the ones I used to wear when I was working, my wardrobe really only consists of tops and trousers until I went shopping for the wedding.

BTW Nic is starting to put two and two together about us both always being on hols at the same time. I guess we'll have to come clean! ;)

The Quacks of Life said...

EEK!! our secret is out.

see you in the usual place xxxx :D

T said...

I don't own any shoes either :o)

I have a pair of dusky pink Docs, a pair of knee high black boots for when the Docs don't 'go' and a pair of pink flip-flops which I wear as slippers.

Oh, and my pink gardening/muddy walks wellies :o)

My OH's cousin went to Jimmy Choos in London. She tried on a pair of £500 shoes (they were in the sale) and the shopgirl said to her 'oh, these were made for you!". She bought them. *rolleyes*

Cherrypie said...

Erm, *digs pointy toe of pretty kitten heel mules into carpet*, I ruthlessly halved my shoe collection when I moved house and finally threw out all the ones I would never wear again or could not be repaired. I'm down to my last 52 pairs now, but only one of them cost a full year's budget.

Looks like I've double-booked myself ( or rather my son has) on Sunday so I will probably be offering my apologies. I was so looking forward to digging out the old rubber too :(

nicola said...

Ive got my eye on you two...hey pete have a lovely holiday darling...

oldcrow61 said...

Got quite a laugh out of your comment on the British Army being kicked out of Buenos Aires. As to the shoes, me, I have a pair of old rubber boots for when it's wet in the garden. A pair of running shoes, although I don't run. Some dollar rubber sandals and a ratty old pair of ski-doo boots for the winter.

Anonymous said...

I have about 6-7 pairs or so. All normal things, trainers, sneakers, sandal, propers, winter, summer. You know. One problem is that it's hard to match shoes with dresses. If you never wear dresses and always pants you can basically have propers and one pair, but if you have skirts and dresses it mostly looks stupid with a sneaker, so you want something else, but you still want the sneaker for when you have jeans on.. you know?
And I have a few more pairs that I just haven't gotten around to throwing out yet. My most expensive shoe were the white sneakers because they happened to become in style at the same time as I thouht I wanted white shoes, what are you gonna do. They were 700SEK.

I don't see how it's any different from buying new games, stuff for the computer, car-things or whatever. I never got the whole obsession thing. Instead of comfort-eating?

I would never wear high heels! I have no idea how women walk in those things... and more importantly WHY!? Anyone buying stuff you can't afford is a moron, "not affordable" being when you can't pay your rent and bills and eat.

KAZ said...

pete - How do you do it? you are on hols and yet my blogroll keeps telling me you've updated.
You keep rising to the top!
Have you got superhuman bionic powers?

Boo said...

OK Pete ;)

The Quacks of Life said...

Kaz

uhm dunno, I presume everytime someone commented?

Unknown said...

The shoe world has obviously gone bootie mad..i too have 8 pairs of shoes like sandals,
boots,high heels,sports shoes.But the i am comfortable is my sandals.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.