Saturday, August 05, 2006

A family day out

Well picked the folks up and off we went.

Stopped at Sudbury first, there is a stall that does lovely bacon joints and it's not far to walk. The stall wasn't there today, typical. Still we had a potter around and mum was able to get some cosmetic stuff she wanted. They have one of those M&S Simply food stores. Or Pete's kitchen as it should be named :D I was tempted but resisted.

Popped into Waitrose to get some 2 bottles of that rather nice English wine. I'll save for a special occasion.

We stopped off at Long Melford for a cuppa and a Jam Doughnut (from M&S - VERY pricey but hey nice!). To find that Dad had backed the flask but not the milk. So we had Lemonade instead.

I left the oldsters sitting in Melford Hall car park under the trees while I walked into the town. I stopped to admire the ducks and Swan family and also loads of Brown Hawkers and a Migrant Hawker. Picked up some books (The origins of the Second World War - AJP Taylor, Empire (How Britain Made the Modern World) - Niall Ferguson, 1914-1918 The History of the First World War - David Stevenson all history and makes me sound all serious! also bought Emperor, The Gods of War - Conn Iggulden (ficitonalised life of Julius Caesar - a page turner).

We then went on to Clare Country Park for some sarnies. Lots of Brown Hawkers a few Migrants, Darters loads of bufferflies (Red Admiral's, Peacocks - so attractive). And some common birds including Chaffinch feeding young.

I made good inroads into The 4th Dark Tower book by Stephen King (better than the 3rd).

We got back to my folks to find a Painted Lady in the parents garden.

After dinner I arrived to find 3 Migrant Hakers patrolling outside my house. How nice!

3 comments:

Cherrypie said...

I've read Emperor, in fact most of Iggulden's books. I'm currently into Hiassen though and they don't sell him in Tesco.

The Quacks of Life said...

this is the 4th and final in the series.
Have you read the Falco and Gordianus books by Lyndsey Davis and Steven Saylor?

I want to read Suetonius' Life of the Caesars - sound fun.

Never read Carl Hiassen. They were slating him on Radio 4's a good read so that might be a reason for buying him!!

Anonymous said...

Glad mum and dad had a good day, it's great when you have days like that. the 2 bottles will be nicely chilled then! ready for that special occasion

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.