Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Ely Cathedral

Well I went to Ely Cathedral today. I left in sun and it was grey and cloudy in Ely.... it was sunny when I got home LOL

Ely has its origins from around 672 AD/CE. The present building dates back to 1083 and it became a Cathedral in 1109, it is famed for its Octagon Tower and the Lantern. 








The Lantern




























The Lady Chapel.... alas the reformation edict to remove all of the images was carried out very thoroughly with statues desecrated and glass removed :( 







A bit of a close up of the lantern. The Octagon tower and its lantern came as a result of the central tower collapsing in 1322.








Ely is a lovely building

2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Gosh - what a beautiful cathedral Pete. I hve long wanted to visit there as there is I think also a stained glass museum and Ely itself looks full of interest. Thanks so much for all the beautiful photos.

The Quacks of Life said...

Hi RR

it is beautiful and yes there is a stained glass museum. It was opening late that day so I didn't visit.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.