Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Hay-on-Wye

My first ever solo holiday occurred back in 1997 and was to Hay-on-Wye.

Hay is home to a literary festival and is famed as being a town of books and at the time had well over 30 second hand book shops. I've visited many times over the years. I last visited briefly in 2012 but the last time I stayed was 2011.

I have a soft spot for the place as it encouraged me to go out and enjoy so many holidays so I was excited to go back.

As I walked into town I had a knowing air but a few things puzzled me. The pub I stayed at now did a jazz night, Kilverts refers to itself as the The Hay Tap at Kilverts and then as I went into town I noticed that large numbers of bookshops had closed (well it felt that way!) and that lots of trendy food/coffee type places had appeared and more antique type shops. Hay used to have a slight otherworldy feel to it now it seems to have gone a little up market.

Yes Addymans and Booths were still there but Booths didn't have a single Isaac Asimov book in its Science Fiction section. Pardon me? REALLY?? I did ask and they said we must have but the bloke couldn't find any, odd. 

As I walked around town I found shops I missed. Now this may generate trade and jobs and that is a good thing but it is sad that Hay feels a little less unique because after all that was its charm.

I mentioned this to one of the waiting staff and she said a few of the shops had gone online only for selling (kind of makes sense as its cheaper) and she agreed it had lost a bit of its charm.

Now this is a beautiful part of the world and I will definitely go back and I may still stay in Hay but I won't feel the same need to stay in Hay as I used to.


No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.