Friday, October 06, 2017

Canons Ashby & Croughton Church

As I have been to the Cotswolds many times I have done virtually all of the churches I need but I do have one I could get to and it was open for me today

869 All Saints, Croughton

Which has a collection of wall murals which would once have been common but are now rare.









The nearest National Trust property was Canons Ashby which I went to. I like Canons but  I always feel it is a bit apart from other NT properties as there is nothing else really close.

The sun was glorious and I drank my coffee outside. It was nice to see these.







So into the garden which unlike many houses escaped the Capability Brown treatment as is therefore an important survival. It isn't huge but is nice and a great place to sit and read in the Autumn sunlight



































Canons Ashby gets its name from the Augustinian priory which was founded in the 12th century. A small fraction of the monastic church survives. In 1551 it became the private chapel of the Dryden family who unusually kept the church open as a parish church. Today it is owned by the National Trust and is one of 4 privately owned parish churches (apparently and no I don't know the others).











Lunch time








The house was built in about 1550 by the Dryden family with additions in the 1590s, in the 1630s and 1710. It is largely unchanged since 1710. It has many Elizabethan and Jacobean features.
























I wandered back in to the garden read a bit more had a last coffee and then with one last glance towards the priory headed home....


Lovely day

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Super wall paintings in the first church. Canons Ashby looks a great property to visit - it was on my list for this year but sadly so far haven't been. Love all the butterfly photos :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.