Thursday, March 27, 2008

Going to the Zoo

London Zoo have opened a new exhibit in the Blackburn Pavillion. The exhibit enables people to move into a tropical walk through and come nose-to-beak with toucans, kookaburras and Hummingbirds.

Some birders will no doubt be stuffy about this but I'm considering a trip Saturday. I'd love to get a photo of a hummingbird and frankly this is about the only chance I've ever got of actually seeing one. There's also a butterfly exhibit.

So you can expect to see some very odd photos over the coming days.

I haven't been to the zoo since I was knee eye to a grasshopper! The whole Regents Park area is rather nice.

6 comments:

oldcrow61 said...

Bet you'll get some great pictures Pete. Looking forward to seeing them.

Jane Adams said...

A bit like you, I hadn't been since I was knee high either... until last year. I had to live in London for 6 weeks and decided to go to London Zoo to see how it had changed. I cried. It was horrible. OK the cages were bigger, but the gorillas were distressed, the tigers just paced up and down and the birds were still in too smaller cages. Maybe it's time that zoos closed and we just had safari parks like Longleat and Marwell. I found the whole experience very depressing. Hope you have a better time than me.... Jane

The Quacks of Life said...

jane, you are undoubtedly right. I guess if they get people to appreciate wildlife then they serve some purpose.

Andi Wolfe said...

Pete - I see hummingbirds all the time, but I have to tell you that one of my most thrilling experiences was a visit to a hummingbird aviary at the Desert Museum in Arizona. You won't regret taking the time to visit the exhibit. Wear a brightly colored Hawaiian shirt and you might get an up-close and spectacular pic or two.

You'll enjoy seeing the kookaburra, also.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me, time to put our our hummb feeder. You'll love the butterfly exhibit. We had one here a couple of years ago at the botanical garden. BFs have a short life span, just about four months I think.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the exotic pictures! Hummingbirds are fantastic little creatures, I've seen them in North and South Carolina where they come to feeders.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.