Wednesday, November 08, 2006

What you find out

As I write this I am listening to the Radio. They happened to mention how West Virginia became split from Virginia (North West Virginia refused to secede and so split from the rest of the State during the American Civil War).

Anyway it had lots of info on the state and so I thought I do a search on my home county and then town.

On my home town I discovered that Old Harlow used to be simply Harlow. The new town was started in 1947 and is an amalgam of "Old Harlow" and the villages of Great Parndon, Latton, Little Parndon and Netteswell. My gran for instance always addressed cards with Great Pardon in the address line.

Anyway i started looking at Election results and the Harlow Constituency only goes back to the Feb 1974 election and I wondered what happened before. Well apparently we were lumped with Epping (in 1974 Epping Forest and Harlow were created as separate constituencies).

Now the MP in 1974 was a fellow called Stan Newens. So what happened before?

Imagine my horror to discover that in 1970 Newens lost the Epping Seat (he had been MP since 64) and that for 4 years my MP was .... Norman Tebbit.

2 comments:

Eagleseagles said...

Stick to the 'net ...its better than daytime TV unless you have Cable or Sky then you can often catch some good sport or Nature programmes or even some Archetecture stuff!! History is good too!!

Shame the Ashes aren't on at the mo..you could turn your life upside down...for a few days.

Sorry to hear how bad you have been the sea air didn't cure which is unusual..but I bet you were a bit run down...

You can of course watch the drama unfold of the mid term elections!!

C

The Quacks of Life said...

I woke at 2 coughing so made a cup of tea and listened to some of the coverage.

woke again at 5 to find the republicans at least lost the house of representatives.

had no energy for a while think the new anti biotics are kicking in.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.