Monday, April 17, 2006

Staying Local

So where to today? After all this twitching I thought I visit a few local haunts. I decided I'd have an early morning visit to Amwell Gravel pits. This is a pretty productive site. In winter it can be good for Smew and goldeneye. Its a bit exposed though so can be a tadge chilly.

Anyway I soon picked up a pair of Common Tern, Cuckoos were heard and then went for a fly and perch. Reed Buntings everywhere and I could hear Sedge Warbler and got one that sat up.

Lots of Grey Heron's and one Little Egret. A number of Redshank and someone pointed out a Common Sandpiper.

I went off to the hide which can be good for Water Rail but not today. However just outside the hide I heard a Cetti's and it then sat out and gave super views. I'm pretty sure there were Reed Warbler but I never got a view.



The first Common Tern if the year. Yes Diane its a naff digiscoped picture!!













Anyway a great start and so I set off for


Hanningfield Reservoir. Seen here from the causeway. Hanningfield is usually excellent in winter but again bloody cold!! I actually prefer it now when the migrants return and start singing.

I did have an ulterior motive for going to Hanningfield. Anyway started wandering along the trails, Chiffchaff, Blackcap. Green Woodpecker yaffling.







From the Lyster Hide the first of many Red Crested Pochard. No doubt purists will say they are not tickable but there were lots around today. They seem to be doing well.






On to Rawl hide and amongst the Tufties were one male and four female Scaup. Also a display pair of Great Crested Grebe, Ruddy Duck, Goldeneye and 3 Black Necked Grebe. Oh and ex Essex spinner bowler David Acfield.

Lots of warblers singing on the trails but no Willows. Also lots of common woodland birds and a drumming 'pecker.


I spied this Peacock butterfly and thought I'd get a snap. Not quite in focus......









Decided to head home and pop in Rye Meads. Oh god was it dead!! The draper hide was like a duck pond. What are they doing? I was feeling fed up as I hit the Kingfisher hide and then wah hey 2 Kingfishers perched up and they mated !! Oh lovely. On the way back I managed to find a male Common Whitethroat and a Linnet.

What a super day.

7 comments:

DH59 said...

Not a bad digiscoped pic. Bit of practice and you'll be snapping like a pro. Oh! I remember now, you said you weren't going to digiscope!!!

And look at your weather!! We got bloody soaked. Best part of the day was when we were in the cafe having lunch! By the time we'd done we were so pissed off we headed back home.

Anonymous said...

Looked like you had a good day, hanningfield brought back memories of essex not as rugged as cornwall!

nicola said...

So what was your ulterior motive for going then?....dont believe you said! Lovely butterfly photo

flicker said...

Ooh Diane, unlucky - where were you? It's been beautiful in West Wales again today. Keep your rain anyhow, we get enough normally.

Nice lot of birds for you today then Pete, especially the cuckoos, not heard one here since '94 when we first moved to Wales.

The Quacks of Life said...

Diane - took 6 snaps only 1 useable. I had to do it though given what I said didn't i!!

Nic - oh I had heard about the Scaup. Expected the Red C Poch - though numbers were higher than expected. Grebe a bonus!!

Anonymous said...

Pete

Nice day, Nice piccies. With a little more pressure Diane will give digiscoping tips!.

DH59 said...

Flicker - it wouldn't be beautiful in west Wales if I was there. I know how much rain you get. I have an aunt lives near Tenby and every time we visit, which isn't that often, it pours it down all the time. Last time they'd had unbroken sun for weeks. What happened when my sister and I went....?

We were in north Lincolnshire at Far Ings reserve. The sun did poke through occasionally, but the sky was leaden and it was very showery.

Anonymous - I would be happy to share my vast knowledge of this technique, but Pete definitely isn't going to digiscope with his new camera!!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.