Monday, February 20, 2023

Holy Rood - Watford

 Someone on Instagram asked me if I had passed 900 churches and I had to admit I was stuck on 897 and my holiday plans don't offer me much in the way of updates.... 1 maybe 2. 

But the comment made me think there is a church I hadn't visited that is doable. The church has a website and it is easy to get into!! 

So this morning I drove to Watford EEK to visit the last church I need to visit it Hertfordshire....

898 Holy Rood, Watford.

Holy Rood is a rare Roman Catholic church in Jenkins book (I daresay because some bloke broke from Roman about 490 years ago ;) ) The church isn't that amazing from the outside and my photo isn't that great ( i should have taken it at distance hey and ho). But inside?

Holy Rood is the work of the architect JF Bentley he of Westminster Cathedral and it is inside that the church delivers. It is dominated by Bentley's screen and the colour of the chancel and side chapels. 























Kudos to the Roman Catholic Church for it being so accessible

3 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Gosh Pete - I would have thought Watford a long way for you as I think it is my side of London. Seem to remember leaving car there once and going into London from there on the train. Long time ago when I used to go to Villa away games - we were going to Milwall - scarves left hidden in car boot - lol! Anyway glad you have added another church to your list - it is certainly impressive :)

The Quacks of Life said...

it is about 40 miles? hours drive? :)

Ragged Robin said...

Closer than I thought Pete.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.