Tuesday, September 13, 2022

A Castle , an Abbey and a Garden

I went to Helmsley this morning. It is one of those towns that is very touristy and pretty and has managed to keep out the bog brands.








Now I was  going to looks around a Garden I have never visited but I didn't check the opening dates and it isn't open Tuesday DOH!! 

Oh well I'll look around Helmsley Castle then.

A wooden castle was built about 1120 and work commenced on turning it to stone in 1187. It's hey day may have been in the 13th century. During the 16th century it was slowly turned into a more comfortable residential dwelling.

The castle was slighted during the Civil War.
















I wasn't intending to go to Rievaulx today but plans needed to change

Rievaulx was founded in 1132 the first Cistercian foundation in the North of England. By 1167 there were 140 monks and 500 lay brothers. The church was remodelled in the 13th century. By the times of its suppression during the reformation there were just 23 monks.

The remains are substantial and I would have loved to have seen it and its height.





















I headed to Nunnington Hall a small National Trust property close to my accommodation. The sun was shining so I ignored the house and wandered the garden stopping to read from time to time in the sun.




















2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Gorgeous photos Pete and the weather looks lovely. I do like Yorkshire we really must go back for a longer holiday there next time.

The Quacks of Life said...

oh quacks says thank you :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.