Saturday, September 21, 2019

A Church Crawl

When I first started working my way around Simon Jenkins England's 1000 best Churches I spent a number of weekends doing a good church crawl. Nowadays this is difficult as I have visited the local churches.

Today is the second Heritage Open day weekend and I noticed that a church I need in Northamptonshire near Milton Keynes was open. I found that 2 others were normally open and there was another near them so I set off to Northamptonshire.

My first stop

888 All Saints, Earls Barton

The church is famous for its Saxon tower.





The screen is perpendicular but was restored in the 1930's with Saints in contemporary dress.









And onto

889 All Saints, Brixworth

And another Saxon tower, and the nave is Saxon is well.. the church possibly dates to the late 7th century. Inside it has been heavily restored. But parts of this church are over 1300 years old!
















This is a Roman Eagle probably taken from a nearby  villa..... and this is over 1600 years old!



The next church I didn't know if it was open but it was 3 miles down the road.

And yes it was the lady cleaning the bat droppings said it was open every day..... I like that. I may not be Religious but I respect communities that keep churches open.

890 All Saints, Cottesbrooke

Noted for the Langham Mausoleum












And finally the church that was open for Heritage Open day

891 St Guthlac's, Passenham






The painting are 1620 and this is a VERY unusual period to see such decoration in England.










As you can see from the bunting they were making a thing of the opening and selling cake to raise money. I wish I could have had some! But I hope they raised plenty of money.

And thank you to the first 3 that are regularly Open! It was a good and successful day.

I really must find where to stay in Northamptonshire as there are lots of historic houses to visit.

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

oh Wow!!! Four wonderful churches and all superb. Love the Roman Eagle and the tomb in the 3rd church especially :) Great photos. I am not religious at all but like you I do admire those churches that are always open.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.