Sunday, May 19, 2019

Stonehenge

It is odd that I have never been to Stonehenge! I have seen it many times from the A303 but never stopped. Well today as I headed back from Cornwall I thought I'd stop off.

There is a huge visitors centre and to be honest its a bit impersonal. You have the option of getting a shuttle bus or walking to the stones. I was all health conscience and did the 3.5 mile round trip.

Years ago you could touch the stones now of course you are behind a rope some distance from the stones.

The stones were erected around 5000 years ago and it is amazing how it was done.

An incredible achievement but as a visitor attraction? Worth a visit? Well yes  but £21? Really? I'd never pay that (EH member I didn't need to) and it seemed that most people there were overseas tourists ticking off their bucket lists. I'm with Bill Bryson you look at them think WOW and after 10 minutes think right where now!











2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

I've been to Stone Henge once as a child and as you say you could walk right up to the stones and touch them. To be honest I was quite disappointed by it - I've always preferred Avebury which is far more atmospheric (and you can touch the stones!).

Sharon said...

Stone Henge is one of those places I always thought I 'should' visit but I didn't realise you had to pay! I naively thought you could just wander up to it!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.