Monday, November 10, 2014

Sunday Night Music

As I may have mentioned before a brand new concert hall (Saffron Hall) has opened near me at Saffron Walden. It has 730 seats and features concerts by local groups and some world class performers.

I was meant to be there a few weeks ago but was stuck in Venice but last night I was in my seat to see one of the leading vocal ensembles The Sixteen perform Monteverdi's Vespers 1610.

The repetoire wouldn't have been by first choice (Byrd, Palestrina, Tallis etc would have been first choice) but a chance to see The Sixteen so close to home was not to be sneezed at.

Was I to be disappointed? No I was not the soloists were excellent as I expected but so were the accompanying 18 part "orchestra" interesting to see so many early instruments that have vanished from the established repetoire.

My favourite piece was Pulchra es with sopranos Grace Davidson and Charlottle Mobs accompanied by harp. I also liked the Audi coelum with Jeremy Budd and Mark Dobell (echo).

A good couple of hours and lovely to see the hall filled!

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.