Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General

Alas today is my last trip of the year...... I'm in South Devon.

I set off very early (5:30ish!!) and drove through rain en-route. I looked at the sky and said Trish isn't here and the weather improved - actually that is true!!

I could have looked at 3 churches but I thought nah I'm going to laze about and went to Coleton Fishacre - given how steep the garden is in places laze is not wholly accurate!!

The house was built in the 1920's by the son of Richard D'Oyly Carte he of Gilbert & Sullivan fame (I've actually been to one of the Comic Operas at the Savoy and enjoyed it!!).

The garden is lovely but obviously not at it's best in mid-October. Alas no photos in the house.

Before heading off I had a cuppa and eyed the cake :D



























The house is lovely, no great treasures but if I do win the Euro-Millions I might make the Trust an offer :D

The soup was Vegetable and the cake Lorraine's 1930 style Banana cake. I had a few nice sits reading. Good day.

My peace is about to be broken by she who brings rain.... ;)

4 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

It looks beautiful... (pity about the night duty...) lurve the frog..:D

Peace will be broken.. hopefully in dry weather... I've requested it :D

Tricia Ryder said...

,

Ragged Robin said...

The garden looks truly beautiful, Pete - one of the loveliest I've seen.

Fingers crossed the rain stays away for you both

Eagleseagles said...

Might be ok weather wise - even if cold.

I am hopeful that the w/e will be ok - some leisurely birding with luck in Kent or Sussex. To make up for the madness of last w/e returning from Shetland to go down to the Scillies - just too many lifers to resist!
Hope the Churches are open and the NT places full of cake.Looking forward to you photos!
C

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.