Monday, September 01, 2008

The way we report the world

I'm sure it won't have escaped your notice that the US City of New Orleans is being evacuated for the fear that tropical storm Gustav will develop into another Hurricane Katrina.

After what happened three years ago your heart has to go out to a city having to live with the fear again so soon. It'll be even worse if the thing actually hits New Orleans again.

However it may have escaped your notice that the Indian province of Bihar has 1.2 million people homeless after massive floods hit the province. Neighbouring Nepal has also been badly hit.

I appreciate the importance of the US but the coverage of the two events, as ever, does seem imbalanced. Our media does seem in awe to events in the US. I mean can you remember the blanket coverage of the OJ trial and he was a total non-entity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Indian province of Bihar was hit very hard by the flood last year, as it was this year and I am sorry to say as it will be hit in the next year. The Nepalese Goverment is blaming the Indian Goverment and the vice versa for the scale of devastation caused by the floods after the moosoon rains ... meanwhile the people suffer.
We have a saying in Bavaria (I hope I get the translation right): Lord, please let brain rain from heaven.

oldcrow61 said...

I agree with you totally Pete. We're being bombarded every day with what might happen in New Orleans with the hurricane and yet there is so much worse happening in the world that we hear little about.

Janine said...

Gustav was a category 3 hurricane when it made first landfall, not a tropical storm.

I agree that the news coverage on India has been lacking, I didnt even know about it until I saw it on a couple of blogs.

As for me I am keeping an eye on Hurricane Hannah, TS Ike, and the rest of the "ares of likely storm formation" in the Atlantic ;) Such is the price for living in "paradise"

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.