Saturday, June 11, 2016

The National Trust in Hampstead - Fenton House and 2 Willow Road.

Fenton House is in Hampstead in North London, it is quite a leafy area and really has a village feel to it! 




I have made a habit of visiting merchant houses recently, Paycocke's (16th century) and Peckover House (18th Century), and today I went for the middle as Fenton House is a 17th century merchants house. 

It was gifted to the trust in 1952 and contains a collection of key boards, porcelain, Georgian furniture and the collections of actor Peter Barkworth  and loans of Sir William Nicholson paintings.





















Here is the view from the top of the house where you can see the garden.#






Ot is the garden at Fenton I love it is lovely and as I said before if I lived locally I'd spend many a Sunday afternoon sitting reading. It also has a 300 year old orchard with 30 types of apple trees.
























And so I set off for 2 Willow Road. It  part of a terrace of three houses in Hampstead, London designed by architect Ernő Goldfinger and completed in 1939. Goldfinger lived there until he died in 1987. Apparently it was one of the first Modernist buildings acquired by the Trust.  


There are no photos allowed inside....

You get a 15 minute video about Goldfinger and I did a guided tour which was interesting. 

Goldfinger himself designed much of the furniture, and the house also contains a significant collection of 20th-century art by Bridget Riley, Marcel Duchamp, Henry Moore and Max Ernst. I won't deny it is not to my taste! but that doesn't make it worthwhile. No 1 & 3 are private homes.

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.