Monday, August 11, 2008

Some Wildlife

I met up with Trish today for a walk around Thursley Common for a look for Dragonflies. Unfortunately the weather was cloudy and not conducive to Dragons. We did see quite a few juvenile Willow Warblers, Tree Pipits, Woodlarks and Stonechat. Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers seemed to play with us! We eventually saw a Green Woodpecker there (and I saw a Great Spotted later).

Grey Heron





A keeled Skimmer I think. I've never seen one before!



For Hugh this was taken with a Nikon 70-300 VR


And the next two a Sigma 150 Macro




So we headed to Petworth House for lunch and a walk around the lake.






Egyptian Geese





Mallard


Coot


Mallard


Tufted Duck





Great Crested Grebe







We headed on to Warnham Mill Ponds near Horsham. It is a lovely local reserve, ok you don't see lots of rarities but we need see Great Crested Grebe, Common Tern with 3 chicks, Treecreeper and a Kingfisher.

Sorry these aren't very good the feeder was in the shadows so I had to really bump up the ISO.






Female Tufty


A nice day in good company.

The service here gets better ! Yesterday no cup and spoon. Today no cup, spoon, milk or tea!!

I've been waiting two hours for it to appear. So I wandered down and they had no cartons of milk!!

STOP PRESS. The Milk has arrived.

2 comments:

oldcrow61 said...

I can see that you're making great use of your time while on holiday...wonderful pictures. At the risk of sounding too terribly greedy dear boy, I want that carving of the face as well, lol.

Mary said...

I see a gate keeper butterfly. I have seen a few butterflies recently but its a poor year.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.