Saturday, February 14, 2015

Barton Turf / Blicking

My church list is progressing slowly and the planned holidays for the year won't add many opportunities but I realised that today was the first day Blickling Hall was open AND I had discovered that a church I needed relatively nearby would be open so......

815 St Michael and All Angels, Barton Turf.

The churchyard was alive with birds!














And onto Blicking. I have a distinct fondness to the place after many happy visits as a child - my Dad still laments that you can't park in the walled area as we did then!

They are restoring the walled garden and I look forward to seeing future progress.





The important bit.... a cup and a Fruit Scone - which was warm. It was nice but a bit stodgy in the centre maybe a BIT more time in the oven.


A trip around the garden (which had lots of Robins in good voice!















The Helibores were amazing!

























The House is Jacobean but it is built around a tudor shell. Anne Boleyn and her sister Mary is said to have been born here.








This ceiling was covered up at one point and not uncovered until about 2002. I remember doing a double take on my first visit after it was uncovered.



























Lunch was Potato and Parsnip soup (nice!). I opted to skip the bread and had a cheese scone. Was a tadge dry and needed a more cheesey flavour (a common complaint of cheese scones!)





1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

What a wonderful place Pete. IF I ever persuade my family to return to Norfolk I really must visit. Lovely photos and the hellebores are beautiful :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.