Saturday, July 25, 2009

Somehow Titchwell

I wasn't really sure where to go this morning.

Did I go to somewhere I'd see birds? Somewhere with lots of photo ops?

Somehow I found myself heading North and going to Titchwell, a slight error as I had no scope with me. Hey ho.

Photo ops for birds was limited as everything was fairly distant. The new hide is not open yet and the view looking towards Thornham had more water than I've ever seen.




The tidy was VERY high, highest I've seen at Titch.

A list of birds seen.

Great Crested Grebe, Fulmar, Cormorant, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Spoonbill, Mute Swan, Greylag, Canada Goose, Egyptian Goose, Shelduck, Teal, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Pheasant, Moorhen, Coot, Oystercatcher, Avocet, Lapwing, Knot, Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, Curlew, Redshank, Greenshank, Turnstone, Black-Headed Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Common Tern, Little Tern, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Swift, Swallow, House Martin, Skylark, Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Sedge Warbler, Bearded Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Jackdaw, Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting.

I missed a few due to have no scope. I thought I had Curlew sandpiper and little stint at one point but looking into the sun with bins I'll have to pass. Not bad for a few hours birding I thought.

Highlights? Little Terns are great to watch, the Spoonbill (asleep naturally), the Whimbrel on the beach and the close in Fulmar.

Not many photos and they are not stunning hey ho. Why is it when I have the camera at Titchwell the birds go far away and when i don't bother they dance in front of the hide.

A record shot of a little Tern (rubbish photos)





Common Darter



There were LOADS of Painted Ladies about! This may explain it.



What is this? Small Skipper?



Black Headed Gull



A sky full of waders



Geese on the wing.



Darter




Another Painted Lady


Tomorrow would have been Mum and Dad's Wedding Anniversary so I am taking the old boy out. Photos there will be but you have seen Ickworth plenty of times so don't get excited!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY high tide. Love the Common Darter pics.

oldcrow61 said...

Love the pictures Pete.

Tricia Ryder said...

Does look rather wet with the high tide! Good list of birds but understandably frustrating not to get the pics you wanted.

Amazing number of waders - impressive sight. Excellent Common Darter pics Pete!

holdingmoments said...

A good list of birds Pete. I had a great time when I went there last week. A lot of water in that first shot; hardly any when I went, except for a few pools.
Certainly is a lot of Painted Ladies around at the moment; lovely captures you got.
A great day you had, despite no 'scope.' :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.