Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lost in Austen

ITV have an uh interesting adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice.

It takes Amanda Price, a modern young woman who is a big Austen fan, and has her swap places with Elizabeth Bennet ia a portal in Amanda's bathroom.

It will keep all of the characters and costumed glamours with the twist of Elizabeth being "inhabited" by a modern woman. The idea being I guess to show the Georgian world through modern eyes.

It picks up when the book starts and starts next Wednesday at 9pm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It might be fun and I'll probably watch if I remember, but it strikes me that so many of these shows are through our eyes anyway, so I wonder what they think they'll be doing differently?

I remember them modernizing Stig of the Dump just so that it would engage today's children more... that annoyed me. Why does everything have to be 'of our time' (or why do they imagine that's necessary) before people (and especially children) will watch?

For an editor I'm against change... whether it's changing the era a book was set in, or turning the spelling of a British book American, or an American book British. It just encourages us all to live in a sort of insulated cocoon...

Oops, a bit of a rant there; my excuse is that I haven't had any coffee yet! (Crawls off downstairs).

Attila the Mom said...

Well that's certainly a new twist, isn't it? LOL

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.