Friday, July 19, 2019

Oakham, a Priest House and Euston Walled Garden

The forecast was for heavy rain. It was horribly dull which doesn't help the pics.

 Anyway I thought I'd go to Oakham for a wander.

Oakham is the county town of England's smallest county Rutland. It isn't big and is a very pleasant place, a few independent coffee shops...

Oakham church - All Saints. It is in the book but I have been here before














Oakham Castle is actually the great hall of a fortified manor. Tradition states that peers of the realm should forfeit a horseshoe to the Lord of the Manor of Oakham on their first visit to the town. There are 230 now the oldest was presented by Edward IV in 1470.

Oh it is free so I did make a donation.







The big one in the middle was the one presented by Edward IV





Very traditional...


Curiously nearby is a National Trust property I hadn't been to,..... the priest house at Eason on the Hill

Though closed you can get keys nearby.

The house is 15th century and was built by John Stokes, Rector of Easton from 1456 until he died in 1495. Stokes left money for a chantry priest to pray for his soul. The priest could have lived here until 1545 when chantries became illegal following the dissolution of the monasteries and the funds were appropriated by the Crown.

Today it contains a small museum about the local area.
















So with the rain falling I went to a garden :)

I have never been to Euston Walled Garden, first impressions were good as the tearoom  did and excellent Gardeners Lunch...

The hall was damaged  whilst being used by the army in WWII and was demolished in 1951. The gardens were abandoned but have been restored. It was a lousy day but the gardens looked excellent and I will be back.








































poor weather but a good day.

2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Pleased you were able to do so much despite the poor weather. Glad too you got to Easton Walled Gardens - I thought they were lovely when we went at snowdrop time :)

The Quacks of Life said...

Thanks RR... I don't let the rain bother me...

I love Easton... Will go again...

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.