Monday, July 23, 2018

Norfolk Day 3 - Holkham Hall

I have been going to Holkham Hall for over 40 years and I have seen many changes over the years .... some good some not. In the old days you were able to park under the trees overlooking cricket pitch and lake.... Mum & Dad loved this they could have a walk and sit and enjoy the view....now there is a purpose built car park.... a few years back I was told that it was to present the house as you would have seen it....Which I assume is uhm bumkum as there are cars parked in front of the house!

There used to be an old boy who collected a 50p parking fee. Apparently it was a job created for an old retainer because when he stopped doing it the charge was dropped. Today you are charged £3 (as an HHA member this was waved). I have no problem to the charge BTW it is a big estate and takes some upkeep (oh and they got plenty of cash out of me.... water, diet coke etc :) )

In the past I saw the odd Barnacle Goose there in Summer. Now ? There are 100's of them! A birder who had never been there was gobsmacked! They are lovely birds !











Holkham was built by Thomas Coke another Thomas (the son of his nephew) was to inherit and he was a great Agricultural Pioneer. He is known as Coke of Holkham or Norfolk. This is monument.







I did like the fact that the nature trail said this is a great spot to see Great Crested Grebe AND....




Houghton and Holkham are the two grand buildings of North Norfolk.... you pays your money you takes your choice.




























Houghton wins the walled garden game though! However Holkham's is I think the largest in the Country and has been restored considerably over the years. It has improved greatly I'm pleased to say


I love this!







Vineyard!


OOH Hello Painted Lady!








I had got the buggy to the garden and walked back (oh quick tip buy your water at the garden it is much cheaper than the cafe!)....  I was rewarded by this !




The gardens at the rear are now private. They didn't used to be in the old days!  These Oystercatchers could be in trouble








Now if I have moaned I like Holkham. I don't approve of all the changes but hey that happens. I have so many happy memories....and had a good day.

As I walked into the courtyard where the cafe was I spotted a woman walking a dog (on a lead). The dog was stalking a feral pigeon. I wagged my finger at the dog, she laughed and I walked past. I hear her say go on and turned to see the dog pounced on the Pigeon! A couple of older couples had a go at her and she did a runner...... I wish I had taken her photo..... I don't blame the dog! I blame her!

It was a good day other than that and I hope Karma strikes her!


1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

What a superb place - both gardens, grounds and interior of the Hall. I have driven past several times but sadly never visited. A great set of photos and I love the dinosaurs :)

A very sad tale about the pigeon - what an appalling woman - such a shame you didn't get a photo.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.