Tuesday, November 12, 2019

A celebration of English Music

I am now back in concert going mode.. On Sunday night I was back at Saffron Hall to see the London Philharmonic Orchestra with composer Marin Alsop.

Now it is pretty amazing that a town of just over 15000 people has such a resource as Saffron Hall which can attract a world class orchestra and composer but it can and that is good.

The programme was an interesting one
Butterworth - A Shropshire lad (Orchestral)
Elgar - Enigma Variations
Walton - Belshazaar's feast

a celebration of English music from the first half of the 20th Century.

Now I will admit I bought my tickets on the strength of the orchestra, conductor and the Elgar. This Classical novice didn't know the other pieces.

Firstly it was nice that Marin Alsop addressed the audience and I agree that the choice of John Butterworth who died at the Somme was particularly poignant on remembrance Sunday. The orchestral version of a Shropshire lad was haunting and lyrical. Given how much classic FM push Ralph Vaughan Williams and his popularity with their listeners that this piece would find favour there.

The Elgar is well Elgar, it was beautiful.

The Walton with baritone Roderick Strong and the Saffron Walden Choral Society? It may have been to "big" for the modestly sized Hall. Powerfully performed but I'm not sure it is my thing. Still it was thought provoking and that is good.

I will say again that this a fabulous venue to find in rural Essex.... excuse me I'm off to book tickets for the winter part of the season :)

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.