Friday, July 21, 2017

Pickering Castle & Rievaulx Terrace

Pickering Castle was originally a wooden structure built by the Normans under William the Conqueror around 1069 .  Over the centuries the castle was rebuilt in stone and expanded. The keep and chapel being built between 1216-36.

It is now in the care of English Heritage. Alas no audio tour - I do like these as it interprets what you see and give you a nice snapshot of the history.




























I wandered into Pickering.... this is the North York Moors Railway station








I wandered into Helmsley to pick up some beer from the Helmsley Brewery for a friend and some lunch.




I wandered up to Rievaulx Terrace a grass  covered terrace overlooking the ruins of Rievaulx Abbey. The site was created by Thomas Duncombe II. At one end of the terrace is a Doric temple and at the other an Ionic temple. It was intended as a banqueting house and the ceiling is covered with elaborate paintings.

I walked to it through the woodland walk.






























2 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

Just lovely places you visited. The station is great...and wonderful woodland walk...and all that blue sky..

Sound like you had a great day out..welcome Pickering.

Ragged Robin said...

Super post and photos and very interesting. Thanks for the comment about audio tours - I have never thought to try one of those but sounds a good idea especially as half the time I never read the guide book fully until I get home and realise all the important things I missed!!

As you know love the new addition to the "family" :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.