Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Red Kite

I posted a while back about the spread of the Buzzard. Well on Sunday I saw another raptor that is spreading.

The Red Kite was extinct in England and anyone who wanted to see one had to go to Wales. There have been a few high profile re-introductions, perhaps most famously in the Chilterns, and now these beautiful birds are easy to see if you go to the right parts of the country.

If you ever drive up the M40 you are highly likely to see a large numbers of red kites but they are slowly spreading out from the reintroduction areas. I've seen one over Bishop Stortford Hospital, seen a couple over Audley End and now over the M11 (which is where I saw them Sunday). I have no idea where these beautiful birds are breeding but I assume they are breeding in the Essex, Herts, Cambridgeshire area. They are gorgeous birds and I hope they continue to prosper.

3 comments:

holdingmoments said...

A real stunner aren't they Pete. Lucky enough to see them quite frequently round here; even had them cruise over the garden.

I saw my first one many, many years ago on a touring holiday in north Wales. Now when I go there I see them every day, but I never tire of seeing them.

Ragged Robin said...

Great news about the Red Kite sighting Pete. Occasionally one is seen here locally although I have yet to see one in Warwickshire. Oxfordshire is the closest I have seen them and, of course, along the M40 Chilterns area). They are a joy to watch :)

Tricia Ryder said...

just love Red Kites.. have seen them very near me on a couple of occasions now... and one quite recently... just hope they increase in numbers here!!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.