Thursday, May 10, 2007

Memories of Childhood

Well this wasn't the blog I was expecting to post but hey....

The Radio Times has been asking if TV is better now or in the past. This is always a daft question because we all rememeber the good stuff and forget the abject dross that was on. Also we forget that our tastes change and programmes we liked then will appear terribly dated now. The truth is probably that Theodore Sturgeon's law, 90% of everything is crud, is still true.

Anyway there weren't many of us in chat last night so Jan and I engaged in some nostalgia... the joys of you tube is that there are loads of clips of old TV programmes so here are some memories of my childhood.

So I present you with Tales of the Riverbank



oh some woodentops



A bit of Thunderbirds

Ah the Clangers



and a classic The Tomorrow People (not the American version!!)



School Holidays seemed to be dominated by The Flashing Blade



or

White Horses

and we'll finish with

Danger Mouse (look out for the cartoon hog at 58seconds!!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mostly I remember rank boredom because in the early children's shows they just seemed to rattle around *talking*, which was very irritating - I never knew what they were talking about. So other kids were fond of things like the Magic Roundabout, but I found them dull. Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men were another... yawwwwwn!

I liked more 'peppy', visual shows - Hector's Garden was one - I just liked the singing bird. Playschool. Wacky Races. Rhubarb and Custard. The Banana Splits. Vision On. The Wombles. Later on, the Goodies - though I was often left feeling a little flat (by that time things were being subtitled, I think).

Clangers bored me too (no subtitles at that time) but I like them now.

Talking of crud, Paddington Bear (70s or 80s) was a disappointment to me - I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that! I would rather have been reading the book.

One thing I do remember - ranting to my grandmother about there being not enough TV for children.

The Quacks of Life said...

yeah there was no subtitles back in those days.

i remember Hectors House!!

I enjoyed shows like the Wacky Races and Scooby Doo.

Jan said...

Apart from the ones here that I remember oh so well, US cartoons were my favourites, The Flintstones were popular in our house, I remember Mum and Dad enjoying them as much as I did. Then there was Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat, Yogi Bear. Then there were the puppet ones, Torchy, Torchy the Battery Boy, Twizzle, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet. And not forgetting of course the great Cowboy things, like The Lone Ranger, Champion the Wonder Horse, Bonanza, Laramie, Waggon Train, Rawhide, oh the list is endless, what memories....:)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.