Saturday, March 07, 2015

Ewelme Church and Nuffield Place

Where to go? I had a few options but made a late change of mind and headed towards Nuffield Place.

On the way I saw LOTS of Red Kites and also Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Little Egret and Grey Heron all over the motorway!

As ever I was early so I went to look for a spot to park and saw a sign to Ewelme..... hang on I thought there is a church there that I need so.....!!



816 St Mary the Virgin, Ewelme

The church you see is from 1437 and was built by Alice de La Pole 1st Duchess of Suffolk and grand daughter of Geoffrey Chaucer who is buried here (as are his parents). She also built the almshouses and school in the view above.













Alice's tomb. A nice effigy on top and a cadaver below. Known as a Cadaver tomb!












And so to Nuffield Place a relatively small National Trust property. It was the home of William Morris, Lord Nuffield, the founder of the Morris Motor Company. It is a very liveable house. The trust are also restoring the garden so it will be worth revisiting over the years!






The tea room....


Me - do you have any scones?
NT - Sorry no the chef didn't bring any......

I didn't quite cry as I just had a cup of tea.... :(



































This was in a wardrobe. Morris' appendix is next to a bottle of quink!












Iron Lung. Morris offered them free of charge to any hospital in the commonwealth that wanted one. He was quite the philanthropist.




The sun was shining, I saw Brimstone Butterflies, it was warm and it was a good day. Will Nuffield Place let me know when there will be scones and I'll go back!

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Interesting and beautiful church Pete. Lovely photos - shame about the scones :(

Have to admit am rather envious of the Brimstones !!! :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.