Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Nutcracker

Gosh is it really a year ago that I went to see my first ballet at the Coliseum? Well it was and I am back again to see the Nutcracker.

The Nutcracker is a Christmas favourite and attracts lots of kids (some of whom today were a right little pain and appallingly supervised I might add, the Coliseum staff earned their corn).

The English National Ballet production is a traditional one no faffing around here, no reinterpretation and you know what? It was obviously very popular, perhaps the ENO might take note before they "muck about" with something.

The sets were sumptious, the costumes were attractive bright and colourful. Just as it should be. It was almost like sitting in front of an open fire with a glass of wine.

The dancing was glorious (we'll ignore the odd formation a tad out of sync) the set pieces were stunning. I might add the dancers made it look so easy, so fluent, so smooth. And yet it is obviously not! Oh and the music is glorious.

I'll be back to see the Nutcracker next year but I think I'll try the Royal Ballet's production just to see the difference. But don't let that put you off, English National Ballet's Nutcracker is a Christmas Cracker.


No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.