Saturday, September 21, 2013

None Shall Sleep

I was in London today to see Turandot at the Royal Opera House Covent garden. Words I never thought I'd type 6 months ago....

Of course opera has a  reputation for being elitist and expensive..... well yes you can pay a fortune but I'm in the gods and prices are more than comparable to a premier league football game.

The performance was lavish, great sets and lighting. Turandot is a bit odd since the title character is barely in it to the second act. I thought Marco Berti as The unknown Prince (Calaf) was a little under powered, his Nessun Dorma didn't set my skin tingling. The three guys playing Ping, Pang and Pong were rather good. Lise Lindstrom as the eponymous Turandot was excellent.

But for me the star was Eri Nakamura as slave girl Liu, great acting and bravura singing. The Covent Garden audience appreciated it as she got the biggest raw.


1 comment:

oldcrow61 said...

I envy your day at the opera.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.