Sunday, October 14, 2007

A stroll along the river

So where to today? Well I met up with Tricia, from a forum i'm a member of, to look around Ham House in West London.

Ham has a lovely location sat by the side of the Thames. Ham is considered to be on of the countries finest Restoration House. There is a distinct difference between thte ground and first floor. The ground is relatively intimate whereas the first floor is more "impressive". Ham has some fine ceiling paintings by Verrio. The grounds are not extensive but this is not a problem as you can stroll along a rather fine stretch of the Thames.

Oh I was playing with the camera today. I was using Manual mode so if they not as good as normal....







The cafe is in a walled garden and there were a number of bird feeders. A number of Coal Tits and Nuthatches. Also for this part of London the obligatory Ring Necked Parakeets.

After looking around Ham we went for a stroll along the river.



Marble Hill House, somewhere else I want to visit.





Just along from Ham House we found St Peter's Petersham which is on my list annoyingly it was locked. Well a keyholder was listed and we got the key so....

655 St Peter, Petersham



It's an odd church. Normally I take a shot looking up the nave BUT here a small older church has been added so this next photo is actually across the nave. The church is wider than it is long. The chancel looks noticeably that the nave with its georgian fittings and dates to the church of 1266. The nave was rebuilt in 1505 and extended in 1600 with transcepts added early in the seventeenth century.








a real bonus that! It contains the grave of George Vancouver

The weather was lovely (its October!!), I only need a long sleeved t-shirt, and the company excellent.

.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whad'ya mean, they're not as good as normal? They're perfectly good, if you ask me, which I know you didn't, but never mind.

oldcrow61 said...

They look pretty darn good to me as well.

Tricia Ryder said...

They're great pics as usual Pete. Except for the one of that "strange lady" who looks as though she's looking down her nose!!! LOL

It was a lovely day out with very enjoyable company.

Unknown said...

The photos look great - I really liked the ones taken by the river.

In that church - what is going on with those effigies? Why are they all lying in that odd position? It looks a bit creepy, like they are going to climb out LOL

Mary said...

Pete, your pics are always a treat. Thanks for the stroll - I enjoyed the cool air you felt and I admire the lush foliage and green grass!

The Quacks of Life said...

Ta all.

Kate - I think its a style change. I may try and find some photos to illustrate that.

Mo said...

I think you should venture into manual more often - the exposure's better - much lighter.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.