Thursday, June 18, 2020

Hatfield Forest

It rained last night, boy did it rain. Apparently Ickworth  had 6 weeks rain last night.

I have been going to Hatfield Forest for about 50 years (oh god I feel old!!) but haven't been for 5 years. My last visit was a little dispiriting as Park Run spoils a quiet walk and then when I went to get my Sausage Bap I was informed they no longer served them!!!

I have been since informed that they have got rid of Park Run and there are Sausage Baps

I had pre-booked tickets for Hatfield Forest today which given the weather was not the best of plans! Still I arrived in my slot and set off (I decided I wasn't going to try for bird pics!).

You notice the changes... a whole bunch of trees had been coppiced near lake. There were a few one way signs on one of the walks near the lake but mostly you are free to wander.

I did find it odd the different approaches between the National Trust (Hatfield) and English Heritage  (Wrest). The trust had removed the picnic tables to avoid spreading Covid whereas EH had tables but they were nicely spread out.

The cafe was closed but I got the impression it will open as there social distancing marks.

When I first get to the lake t between March and June I look for Terns and Great Crested Grebes. I was pleased to see two Terns and they were giving the black headed gulls grief but not one Grebe. I hope I just missed them as there were always two breeding pairs but around 7 years ago the trust introduced boats on the lake and I fear it became less Grebe friendly. I hope I am wrong. STOP PRESS - apparently they are about.

It was a nice stroll.. well given the weather










This is the old duck decoy pond



















I decided to call it a day and head home. The cows obviously didn't want me to leave and they blocked the road.

I will go back.... hopefully the weather will be kinder.

About 2pm  the sun was shiner and the temperature had gone up around 5c!!

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Looks like a good day out apart from the weather! Rain only just stopped here! Interesting EH and National Trust run different parts of the site. Good to hear the sausage baps are back!!! :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.