Saturday, November 02, 2019

Lavenham Guildhall

I awoke to find the weather really awful and if I'm honest I could have just stayed in bed! but no I knew I had to get out so out I went!

I made sure I had enough History of England Podcasts to listen to and headed out for a drive. As I arrived at Lavenham I was too early for the Guildhall so continued listening to podcasts as it was raining reasonably hard.


There is a new scone of the month.... Treacle Tart scone....... and for once I went for clotted cream...;)



Curiously I sat for about 25 minutes and no one else came in.... very odd!

I'm sure some of you have seen enough of Lavenham Guildhall ! But hey




I do like the presentation showing all of its uses over the centuries and the human stories








These are from the room with many of Francis Lingard Ranson's photo's..... when you think of what's available today...


Ranson was a master tailor and a keen amateur photographer.... his photo's document pre-war Lavenham  and show how much many of the buildings had fallen into disrepair. He was an important  figure in the movement to obtain national recognition for the architectural and historical importance of Lavenham and the restoration of it's buildings including the Guildhall. And the exhibition in the Guildhall is a nice memorial.



I've never noticed this advert before... made me chuckle.


There are no great pictures nothing of any international repute but as a record of a village and its people the Guildhall is important.

2 comments:

Z said...

We stayed in Lavenham three years ago and we didn't realise that the Guildhall would be mostly shut for the winter. We stayed at the Great House, just a few yards away - fabulous food and lovely bedroom, with four-poster bed.

The Quacks of Life said...

A lot of the NT properties go on winter hours ..... I guess less mid week visitors

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.