Friday, October 11, 2019

Bibury, Lodge Park and Sezincote

So far the weather has been kind and there has been a fair amount of blue sky... even when it did rain hard (at Packwood) it had the kindness to do so when I was in the tea room. Today however EEK

I decided to go to Bibury today. Bibury is a pretty Cotswold village, William Morris considered it the prettiest in England, there is a trout fishery, a hotel and a post office but tourist flock here. There are always lots of Chinese and Japanese tourists and some of the houses have signs saying to not enter in English, Chinese and Japanese.

I took Mum & Dad here on Mum's last ever holiday so it has nice associations for me. Dad liked feeding the ducks and watching them race the trout :)



















Lodge Park is a small National Trust property just up the road. It was built as a grandstand for deer coursing by John 'Crump' Dutton. Over the years it was turned into a house, then cottages and back to a house. The Dutton's house Sherborne was taken over by the military and they moved to Lodge Park. Sherborne became a school and today is luxury apartments.

The National Trust acquired the property in 1982 and it was in a poor state. They have restored it to near enough its original state.




This was the old kitchen.... apparently the family didn't know it was here as it had been filled in. I'm told the restoration budget had been spent when it was uncovered.














So after a lunch in Burford I wandered to Sezincote. The property was in winter mode which meant it was garden only and an honesty box system. As an HHA member I get in for nothing (hope that still applies EEK).

There was only one other car when I arrived and when I left they were leaving and another was arriving so 3 cars ! In Summer it is fairly full.... I appreciate the weather was rubbish by this point but it was still a pretty stroll.

Sezincote was built in 1805 and is a 19th century interpretation of Mughal architecture. It is said that the Prince Regent (later George IV) visited and was inspired to build the Brighton pavilion.

I think it is fairly unique ;)





































As it was hammering down I headed back to the pub. A good day

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.