Sunday, August 18, 2019

Helmingham Hall

I have never been to Helmingham Hall. It only opens Sunday's at weekends and was too far to get to after lunching at Dad and I though today I'd go....

Now I thought the forecast was good but as I arrived it looked a little dull..... now do I pack an umbrella? After getting caught last weekend and briefly yesterday I slipped one in the bag.

You will note it had become a bit dark!!



The house is not open to the public. Work is mean to have started on the house  in 1480 but has been altered a number of times over the years.... The victorian's get a bad rap but they removed John Nash's coating of cement! There are two drawbridges and they have been drawn up every night since 1510. There's a church on the edge of the park that I never went to.... next time!

The reason to go to Helmingham is the garden









There were few of these Fallow Deer close to the garden















Now at this point the HEAVENS opened! The brolly did a good job! I quickly nipped back to the car for my jacket and headed to the tea room. Where I shocked everyone who knows me by having a cheese salad! Very nice it was too.... no skimping on the cheese!

Of course I needn't have bothered with the jacket as by the time I had finished lunch the sun was shining!









Hello a Hummingbird Hawkmoth! it didn't stay long but still!!























The red deer were very distant!


I wandered for a coffee and my friends Rebecca & Stuart arrived. They had been to Southwold and were going home. Like me it was their first visit. I joined them in a stroll around the garden.

I will have to go back.

2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

A very beautiful garden and a lovely set of images. Love the deer and gnome :) Well done on the Hummingbird Hawkmoth :)

The Quacks of Life said...

thanks RR. it is a really nice garden!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.