Sunday, July 14, 2019

Gawthorpe Hall and some Churches

And where to today? Somewhere else I have never been before Gawthorpe Hall... in  fact I almost went yesterday but changed my mind on route which was lucky as it was closed due to a power cut yesterday!!

Gawthorpe is a partnership between Lancashire council and the National Trust. It has a small garden that I suspect was once grander...

The house was built between 1600 and 1605 so straddles the Elizabethan and Jacobean period but we'll call it Elizabethan, it was built around a peel tower










The tearoom was small and I suspected the scones would not be home made and alas that was the case!




There was a an interesting introductory talk, I learnt that Gawk was anglo saxon for cuckoo, and then off ...






There is an interesting embroidery exhibition.








So a few churches!

885 St Mary and All Saints, Whalley

A church dating to the 13th century.
















886 All Hallows, Great Mitton

The church dates to 1270 and as a nice collection of memorials.




















No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.