Saturday, June 22, 2019

Wentworth Castle Gardens and Brodsworth Hall

The second part of this trip was predicated on going to Leeds to visit two churches however this morning the sun was shining and I thought nah!

So I went straight to Wentworth Castle Gardens which was handy as it was HEAVING when I left.

The estate was in the care of the Wentworth Castle Heritage Trust until June 2019. Despite a big restoration after which the gardens were reopened in 2014 , the gardens were closed to the public in 2017 due to a funding crisis. In September 2018 it was announced that the National Trust planned to enter into a new partnership with Northern College and Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council to reopen the gardens and parkland to the public. The gardens and parkland reopened to the public on 8 June 2019.

Now I have to say the garden was a little underwhelming and I think more work is needed.... although I was told by a twitter friend that the garden is at its best in May.... it will be interesting to go back in 3-5 years.











Barry is happy to help!




Stainsborough Caste an impressive folly

























As I queued to get my scone I spotted someone I know via twitter! had a very nice natter over scones!


I had dinner with my friend Cheryl the other night ( it was lovely CP!) and she mentioned liking Brodsworth Hall.... now I was a bit dismissive but I thought well it's on the way back....


I couldn't remember much about the property.... I did remember the house being left as found but the gardens? Not a thing


And they were lovely!!






















I decided not to go in the hall! I just wandered and relaxed! I will revisit!

When I got back to the pub there were 2 Painted Ladies in the garden!



No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.