Thursday, May 09, 2019

Saffron Walden

I've made progress on sorting things out. I have done the utilities and insurances. I collected the medical certificate this afternoon.

My friend Cheryl (a solicitor) has been brilliant and done all the probate stuff for me, I have the forms all ready to go. I just need the death certificate which I get tomorrow. I've engaged a funeral director and will confirm everything and get the date tomorrow.

So with time on my hands I went to Saffron Walden this morning. Now one of my plushie twitter accounts got a reply ages ago from Saffron Walden Museum and in looking it up I found a reference to a castle.. Now I never new there was a castle! I also found reference to a garden behind the church that looked nice so I thought that would make a morning out!

Bridge End Garden was laid out by Francis Gibson a local quaker businessman. It fell into disrepair and was restored between 2003-2008. It is a rather pleasant place and on a warm and DRY day it would be a great place to sit and read a book.





















Dorset House Garden is a small space by the church




The sculpture is the Children of Calais by Ian Wolter unveiled in 2018 it is obviously based on the Burghers of Calais by Rodin.


Next the fine parish church of St Mary the Virgin















The castle





Saffron Walden museum is a small local museum established in 1835 by the Saffron Walden Natural History. There is a lot of small exhibits nothing amazing but definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. The bits on local history was interesting I never knew there was a Roman Fort at Great Chesterford.

Saffron is a really nice town the type of place that people don't associate with Essex. A good day out.

3 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

So sad to hear about your Dad and I send my deepest condolences. I know from when my mum passed away that there is a lot of work involved and so much to organise but it does at least keep one busy.

The gardens and church are lovely and I do like that castle - I think I read about that in a magazine.

Take care Pete.

Sharon said...

I remember with my own dad, it took weeks to sort out everything and it is a lot to deal with, especially when you're grieving.
Just take one day at a time, and do what you can when you can.

Saffron Walden looks like a lovely place to have a wander around and the church looks stunning inside.

The Quacks of Life said...

thank you both.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.