Wednesday, April 03, 2019

And that was Venice

There is something magical about Venice. I only have to see a holiday advert showing those classic canal views and I want to go!

Of course it can be crowded, hot , those canals can smell and flipping expensive hence I go out of season. March can be cool and you have a chance of rain but I was very lucky on the whole weather wise.

You have to arrive at Marco Polo airport. Landing with the water either side of you is part of the charm and getting a boat into town is the only way to arrive! A private boat is of course super special but even the alilaguna boats are a cut above.

I have never done a gondola ride they are super expensive. You can get a private boat tour but again they are pricey. My tip would be to get a 3 day water boat pass at 40 euros.... you can do your own tour of the canals all day for one of them and visit the islands on the others. Torcello, Mazzorbo and Burano are my favourites but check out Murano. I have never been to the Lido and I will have to do that on my next visit.

It is great to buy a coffee and sit and people watch, just don't do it on St Marks. Ok the location is fabulous but you are watching tourists and paying an exorbitant some for your coffee for the privilege. Walk away from the main bit come out into a square even 5-10 minutes from St Mark's and you will be in a quieter area, the views may not be as grand but it is cheaper and more authentic.

The coffee in Venice is pricey but somehow Italian coffee tastes less bitter and it is so nice ordering a cappuccino and not having to say no chocolate! Also there no franchises, for all that I frequent those big chains being somewhere with out them is part of the charm, part of the uniqueness.

It is easy to get lost in Venice as it is full of twists and turns but so small you'll soon come to a bit you  will recognise but do explore as getting away from the tourist bits is part of the fun.

The lack of cars is amazing..... I walked about 9 miles a day and it was blissful.

It's a beautiful fascinating city.

Most peoples Italian City wish list is Rome, Venice and Florence. I have to say Venice and Florence win for me every time. Rome may be the eternal city and everyone should go once but Venice and Florence pull me back where as Rome doesn't each to their own.

Oh for anyone looking for a city break in Italy which isn't those 3 I recommend Verona and Lucca!

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.