Saturday, November 17, 2018

St Augustine's Kilburn

As you know I am trawling around Simon Jenkins 1000 best English Parish churches. Jenkins rates his 1000 churches and there is a separate list of the top 100 churches that get **** or *****.

I have visited all 18 that have ***** and 80 of the **** one of the three I have yet to visit is in Liverpool which given I live in the South East of England is sort of forgivable, one is Wellingborough in Northamptonshire and was locked on my visit,  the other is in London and for which I have NO excuse so off I went





And today I give you

881 St Augustine's, Kilburn.

The church was commissioned in 1871 and built by one of the great Victorian Architect's  J L Pearson. 

From the outside it is impressive and declares itself the Cathedral of North London. Now impressive it may be but it doesn't have that WOW my god is that beautiful factor that some medieval churches have when you see them.




but when you going inside you see the finest the Victorian's could muster!




















And a Happy Pete wandered off



A do like this station!



1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

It is certainly impressive inside. For some reason it reminds me of some of the Italian churches you have shown us.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.