Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Sudbury Hall and Ashbourne Church

why is it that when you have poor weather when you get back the sun comes out?

I went to Sudbury Hall this morning, I knew when I planned the week that the hall itself was closed and if I had known how the weather would play out I'd have done Kedleston today hey ho.






There were loads of Chestnuts..... as a child we collected these from the local wood and had them roasted with butter.... bliss.














The house was closed but the EXCELLENT museum of childhood was open!









An absolutely lovely Cherry & Almond Scone ****.5 very close to a full house!



I went to St Oswalds, Ashbourne. I have been here before but the Boothby chapel is well worth a visit.










Penelope Boothby died aged 6..... the memorial on her tomb is said to have made Queen Charlotte cry (wife of George III)



Penelope aged 4.











Now my plan had been to go to Ilam but as it was raining as I approached so I carried on to get some petrol and have a coffee in Bakewell.

I celebrated international coffee day at the Lime Lounge coffee house. A nice independent coffee shop.


Tomorrow I head South of Derby

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

The museum of childhood looks fun. We used to roast chestnuts by the fire when I was little too :)

The church has so much of interest - superb tombs.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.