Monday, September 10, 2018

Guernsey Day 1 - St Peter Port

It is 3 years since my first (adult) visit to Guernsey and here I was again.

As I headed around the M25 before 5am! As I approached J30 the M25 was closed! I saw cars queued and I was able to get off at J30 I had visions of having to go the other way round but I followed some signs and got on J31 PHEW!

It was grey as we flew in. The White Building is Fort Grey of which more later.


I picked my hire car up, put my bag in my room and drove in to St Peter Port. The sun was out!










This is the Herm ferry!



The Channel Islands was the only part of the British Isles to be occupied during WWII. Liberation day 9th May (1945) is a huge event in Guernsey. This is the Liberation Monument







The town centre is quite pretty. And thankfully spared lots of naff chain fast food outlets. It maintains it's character.








Candie Gardens which is a lovely small public park




Unfortunately Victor Hugo's house is closed this year! Something to come back to










 So back into town


Am I in Italy?



The post boxes are blue here!



The town church which is Victorian. You would expect to find an old church on the island but there are none it seems!













The phone boxes are gold






Castle Cornet



 I will show you some more of St Peter Port later.

A lovely first day capped with a lovely first meal...... Crab to start. Then Monkfish and Scallops for main... YUMMY

1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Lovely photos - it looks a really wonderful place - and yes hopefully I will visit one day :) The weather looks good too :)

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.